Thursday 1 May 2014

Homemade Nutella..

I'm always asking for recipe ideas for food you would like to see appear on GLBTK... I don't do this because I can't think of anything I want to make, cos seriously....I want to make everything!! 

My main problem is I don't have enough spare time or people to eat the food I want to make! I always welcome suggestions and will always try to oblige, after all...the whole point of GLBTK is to provide a resource for anyone who needs a little foodie inspiration to help stay on track with their nutrition plans.. 

Always feel free to leave a comment or message me on the Facebook page, and I'll try to sort you out with something delicious! 


I was asked about making a clean version of Nutella, cos lets face it... it's delicious but it's basically just sugar. I've heard a few people mention that they've tried a new clean version of the hazelnut spread that even has added protein... Firstly, I've heard mixed reviews on taste & consistency & secondly, my main gripe with these type of products is the addition of protein powder. Adding protein powder to a treat like this does NOT make it an ideal source of protein... if you want to boost your protein intake, eat more protein rich whole foods. Let's be honest about it, nobody is eating Nutella or healthier varieties to increase their protein consumption... next we'll be sprinkling whey protein over Cornflakes and it'll be the perfect way to begin your day.. 

Like I'm always saying, get your protein, good fats and unrefined carbs in BEFORE you start considering treats like this... if you're eating well for the most part, you won't really crave treats anyway... 

So... the Nutella!! It's awesome! It actually tastes like hazelnuts and chocolate rather than chocolate flavoured sugar... My main advice for when you're making this? 

Follow the steps... don't throw everything into the food processor at once in a bid to save time, I've a funny feeling the ingredients won't blend evenly and you'll end up with a strange texture....

  • 150g hazelnuts
  • 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 40g dark chocolate, melted (I used 81% cocoa solids)
  • 20g coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 100-150ml milk of choice (you can use coconut milk or normal cows milk depending on preference)

Start by toasting the hazelnuts. To do this, place in oven preheated to 170d and roast for 7/8 minutes. Toss a couple of times to prevent burning (if you burn nuts, they'll taste bitter). 


Wrap hot nuts in a dry, clean tea towel and rub to remove the skins. The skins will crack off easily in most cases, but don't worry if it doesn't all come off...


Place the cooled, skinned nuts in a food processor and pulse until you have a fine powder. 


At this stage, add cocoa powder along with melted chocolate, coconut oil & vanilla. 


Pulse well until you're left with a thick, grainy mixture. 


Next you need to add the milk gradually and pulse well between each addition. This is a process so stick with it... it'll take a few minutes and will undoubtedly look like this before it looks like actual smooth Nutella...


 How much milk you add is really going to depend on your preferences... You're obviously looking for a smooth, spreadable texture & consistency that resembles the original. 


Once you have the desired consistency, you could add a tiny bit of honey if you'd prefer it to be sweeter, but with the addition of the melted chocolate, everyone who tasted this loved it.


I'm thinking we need some GLBTK Nutella based recipes soon!!

1 comment: