Wednesday 26 February 2014

Chocolate Fondants


So yesterday was a bit hectic...my first article in the national press. Scary... exciting... I can't figure out which I felt more of to be honest! I was asked to write an article for the Irish Independent outlining a bit about my background, why I chose to eliminate grains & sugar from my diet and provide a recipe to highlight that eating real food doesn't necessary mean eating boring food.

I approached the article in the exact same way I approach GLBTK, directly, without a whole load of statistics or scientific facts. Honestly, science was never really my strong point so if that's what you're looking for... you're definitely on the wrong page. I make myself very accessible to people who engage on Facebook and Twitter. I like people. I like knowing that people are reading the blog and actually using the recipes to feed their family or friends.

If you have a question or a recipe request, all you have to do is ask and I'll always do my best to help you out. My point is... GLBTK is a community for anyone who wants to eat/cook really good food....

So... the article.. I needed a recipe! I wanted something that was a bit 'WOW'... that people would be surprised it was healthy, that is inexpensive and really quick and easy to make...


I made these chocolate fondants over the weekend, and believe me.... you need to try them!

For the fondants:
  • 150g butter 
  • 60g unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 4 tbsp Irish honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract
  • 4 large eggs
  • 60g ground almonds
  • 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder

Preheat oven to 160d (fan oven). 

Melt butter, cocoa powder and honey together in a heatproof bowl set over gently simmering water.


Whisk in vanilla & peppermint extract. 

Add eggs, one at a time, whisking well between each addition.


Finally gently fold in ground almonds & baking powder until well combined. 


Pour mixture into 6 non-stick ramekins or pudding bowls (approx 2/3 full). 

Place moulds on a roasting tray. Pour 1/2 an inch of boiling water into the roasting tray to prevent burning and create steam.


Bake for 13 minutes until risen and firm. Cakes should have a slight wobble in the centre, which gives the fondants their delicious warm chocolate sauce.


Serve immediately with a spoonful of Greek yoghurt. (When you're turning them out of the moulds, run a knife quickly around the edge to loosen the fondant, and invert on a plate quickly... just go for it! If you do it slowly, or overly cautiously the puddings will break. That's ok too.... they'll still taste amazing!)


No comments:

Post a Comment