Monday 13 January 2014

Caramel Slice


I posted a photo of these healthy Twix bars on the Facebook page & took them to a training & nutrition seminar on Saturday.... I was pretty thrilled with the feedback. I love showing people that even if you want a snack (lets face it, we all do at some stage), you don't need to go for the really unhealthy choice...



Shortbread base:
  • 275g unsalted butter
  • 2 tbsp raw organic honey
  • 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 140g almond flour
  • 40g coconut flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 170d (fan).

Start by beating the butter, honey, vanilla & egg yolk together until everything is combined with no lumps remaining.


Next add the dry ingredient & stir well until you have a stiff dough. It will still be quite sticky, but should be firm.


Press into an 8x8' square tin lined with grease proof paper & bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.


If you find it's browning too quickly, just place a sheet of tin foil over the tin to prevent it from burning. It's ready when it's golden brown and firm.

As the base is cooling, you can get started on the caramel filling...

Filling:
  • 10 figs softened in boiling water for 10 minutes (you can use dates here too... I used figs because of their lower sugar content & cos I already had some!) 
  • 50g pecan nuts
  • 1/2 can of coconut milk (refrigerated overnight... just scoop the thick cream from the top half of the can. Keep the coconut water to add to a smoothie) 
  • 2 tbsp raw organic honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted 

Ok listen up! 

Do not, I repeat do not add all these ingredients to the food processor at once... I always forget this, and end up covered in coconut milk! Just believe me alright! 


Start by adding the figs & pecans. Pulse until you have a thick paste. Scrape down the sides if you need to. 

Next add the liquid ingredients GRADUALLY. Yes, I'm shouting at you... cos you think I'm exaggerating here... I'm not! Just do as you're told... And yes, I know in the photo, I threw everything in at once.. this is the reason my kitchen wall needs to be painted now! Do as I say, and not as I do etc etc....

Once all the liquid is incorporated, you should have a thick caramel.


Spread over the cooled shortbread base. 


Chocolate topping: 

Next... whip up a batch of this homemade Paleo friendly chocolate, or I guess you could use super dark chocolate if you want... but make sure it's 85% cocoa solids at least... none of that milk chocolate crap! The higher to cocoa content, the lower the sugar content :) 

Cover the caramel with your chocolate. 

Allow to set at room temperature overnight, or for 2/3 hours at least. 

Cut into slices. I got 24 bars from this recipe. 

2 comments:

  1. these look awesome!! i've had a few of those food processor and blender meltdowns as well. they can be so finicky sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tasted amazing!! Thanks so much for all the recipes :) Quickly working my way through them!

    ReplyDelete