Sunday 26 January 2014

"Bounty" Bars..



I stopped to think for a for seconds before typing the title to this post... Bounty bars isn't quite accurate... I'd never ever make a Bounty... they're not actual food...

Here's the ingredients list from a Bounty you'll buy in the shop:

Sugar, Desiccated Coconut, Glucose Syrup, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Skimmed Milk Powder, Emulsifiers, ( Soya Lecithin, E471 Lactose), Milk Fat, Whey Powder, Humectant, ( Glycerol Salt), Natural Vanilla Extract

It's not horrendous, relative to what could be in them...BUT I'm pretty strong minded. I don't eat refined sugars, grains or anything processed... It's important to make a decision and be prepared to stand up for what you believe in. For that reason... you're not going to find recipes containing any of these type of ingredients on GLBTK.

Instead, I bring you "Bounty" Bars.... they're nothing like the real thing... they're so much BETTER...
  • 200g dessicated coconut
  • 1 can full fat coconut milk (just use the thick coconut cream from the top half of the tin... reserve the rest for my next recipe!) 
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp raw organic honey
  • 1 tbsp organic vanilla extract

Start by lining a 9 inch square baking tin with greaseproof baking paper. 

Add all the ingredients to a saucepan.

Over a medium heat, melt all the ingredients together. Stir constantly as you don't want to toast/burn the coconut.


Once you have a thick mixture, spoon into prepared tin & smooth into corners. 

Place in the fridge/aside at room temperature to set for around 2 hours. 

When the bars are firm, cut into slices. You can eat them as they are & they're be amazing......but I'm a perfectionist so had to go one step further....


CHOCOLATE!!!! 

Right so... you have a choice... you can make my Paleo Chocolate which is ideal for sticking to your Paleo/clean lifestyle... OR you could just use dark chocolate (remember, the higher the cocoa solids, the lower the sugar content)... I know there's some sugar BUT dark chocolate really isn't the worst thing you could be eating so I'll let you away with it... I do accept that making your own chocolate is a little time consuming & tedious for a lot of people... 

Whatever you decide here is ok with me....

  • 150g chocolate of your choice
Coat, drizzle or dip one end of the bars in your melted chocolate... it's entirely up to you.... either way, they'll taste amazing...


Leave to set on greaseproof paper, or eat straight away and get absolutely covered in melted chocolate.... Not that I've done this :)

2 comments: