Monday 16 December 2013

Bacon Jam..

I think it was originally one of the guys I train with that told me about the incredible invention that is bacon jam.... everything tastes better with bacon, but imagine having a bacon jam to use as a dip, as a stuffing for meat, or to eat with a spoon...


Like most commercially produced foods, bacon jam tends to be full of additives. Since we're all about eating good food, I just had to come up with a version which tasted great but satisfied my need for really nutritious food... 
  • 200g smoked bacon, finely chopped
  • 1 red onion, finely diced
  • 2 tbsp organic tomato paste
  • 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp raw organic honey
  • 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1/2 tsp smoky paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • sea salt & freshly cracked pepper to taste

I LOVE how incredibly simple this is to make! 

Cook bacon and onion together in a saucepan. 
Add the remaining ingredients. 
Bring to the boil, stirring frequently.
Reduce heat, and simmer gently for 10-15 min to allow the jam to thicken. 


This is best served cold with vegetable crisps or grain free crackers...though I have used it as part of a stuffing for pork.....

Pork steak with bacon jam & sausage meat stuffing wrapped in bacon....I really need to post that recipe don't I?!!


No comments:

Post a Comment